Sign up

How to move house with Powershop

New customer?

You're moving to a new place so why not send your old power company packing too!

To switch to Powershop all you need to do is:

  • Sign up online and select the option 'I'm planning to move to a new house soon (and want to set up Powershop for my new house)'.
  • Give us the details of the property you are moving to and your move in date.

It typically takes a week to switch your supply. We'll update you by email as your switch progresses. Make the move to Powershop. Sign up now.

Existing customer?

Yes you can take us with you! To move house online with Powershop you just need to:give us a call and one of our friendly humans will manage everything for you (well most things, we draw the line at packing!). Call us free on 0800 462 668.

Building a new home?

If you are connecting a new home for the first time, it's a good idea to give us a call early on.

"I've been with Powershop for about seven years and it's always been very seamless and easy including three house moves.
Quick response and rates are favourable to others in my local market."
Nicola, Dunedin

Questions answered

Do you supply electricity at my new home?

Powershop is now available in most areas of New Zealand. So chances are we're available at your new place! If you'd like to double-check, give us a call on 0800 1000 60.

How do I know when the power will be turned on?

If the previous occupier or electricity supplier has left the power on at your new house, we will switch over your power on the move-in date you have requested.

What happens if the power is off when I move in?

First thing – check that the previous occupier has not turned off the power at the main switch. If you have no luck with this, or don't feel confident attempting it, give us a call on 0800 1000 60.

If the property has been vacant for a significant period, or was disconnected for some other reason, there may be a delay in the supply of power to your house. A reconnection fee may also apply.

If the property has been disconnected for longer than 6 months, you will need to arrange a certificate of verification (COV) signed by a registered electrical inspector. Once you have the COV, it must be presented to our technician when they visit to reconnect the property.

Sorry, our webchat is off for now as the winter bugs have hit our crew. We'll be back on deck as soon as we can!

Sorry, our webchat is off for now as the winter bugs have hit our crew. We'll be back on deck as soon as we can!

Check out our help site